MTHFR Blood Spot Test Kit
MTHFR is the vital gene involved in converting folate from food and supplements into 5-methylene-tetrahydrofolate (active folate). This active folate is vitally important for the creation and methylation of our DNA.
If you would like to know more about the MTHFR gene and it’s role in the body, you can read more on our ‘What is MTHFR?‘ page.
Mutations in the MTHFR are linked with numerous health conditions, such as:
- Pregnancy complications (e.g. preeclampsia, recurrent miscarriage and thrombophilia’s)
- Developmental disorders in children (e.g. Neural Tube Defects, cleft lip/ palate, Congenital Heart Disease and Down Syn drome)
- Behavioural and cognitive disorders in children (e.g. autism, ADD, ADHD and learning delay)
- Certain cancers
- Chronic Fatigue/ Fibromyalgia
- Chronic Inflammation
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
- High homocysteine levels
To see more research linking MTHFR with specific health conditions, visit our ‘Conditions‘ page.
Introducing Simple and Affordable MTHFR Gene Testing:
MTHFR Support Australia now offers MTHFR gene testing, carried out by integrative and functional pathology centre NutriPath.
Being a Blood Spot test, this MTHFR gene test requires no doctor’s referral or visit to a pathology centre to draw blood, and can be done easily in the comfort of your own home. As this test does not require a blood draw via needle, it is perfect for all ages, and anyone with needle phobias.
Once purchased and your request form is sent to NutriPath, your MTHFR Blood Spot test kit will be mailed directly to you. The test is completed by drawing blood via a simple finger prick, placed onto the provided testing card, and returned to NutriPath with their postage-paid return postage slip.
It is a 100% safe and reliable method for discovering your MTHFR gene result.
Specific Testing Procedure:
1. Order and pay for your test kit from the MTHFR Support Australia website.
2. As seen in the image below, you will then receive a link to download your NutriPath request form in your purchase confirmation email. This form is valid for one test, a test kit and form must be purchased for each individual completing the test.
3. Click on this link underlined in the red box above to download this request form. Open it and save it to your desktop before editing it.
4. Customers OUTSIDE Australia should also download the 4 EXPORT / IMPORT documents for facilitate any cross border movement. These documents should be completed and included with the sample being sent to Nutripath.
5. Enter your personal details on the electronic form, double check they are correct, and the ‘MTHFR Gene Test Blood Spot’ test is listed/ selected.
6. Save the form to your desktop again.
7. Attached the form to an email and send to NutriPath directly via firstname.lastname@example.org
8. NutriPath will send your test kit and return postage envelope within 5 – 7 business days for Australian customers, and 7 – 14 business days for international customers.
9. Complete the test as per NutriPath’s instructions included in the testing kit.
10. Send your sample back to NutriPath using the pre-paid return postage slip from NutiPath (Australian customers) or via international priority shipping (international customers).
10. Once NutriPath receives your kit, results take 7 – 10 days to generate, and will be forwarded to MTHFR Support Australia via email.
11. We will then forward these results to you via email for your records.
**Please bookmark this page to refer back to these instructions once you have purchased your kit and have downloaded your NutriPath request form.
General Testing Information:
- National (Australian) customers have all postage costs included in the testing fee (postage of test kit to your address, and return of completed test kit to NutriPath for testing).
- International customers can order and completed this test, with postage of the kit to the customer included in the testing fee, but return postage to NutriPath to be paid by the customer.
- As the blood sample has an expiry/ validity of 30 days, all international samples are to be returned via priority shipping to NutriPath, and must arrive within a 25 – 30 day period of completion to avoid having to retake the test (at full cost to the customer).
- As the blood sample is dried and of a very small volume, the sample does not need to be classed as a biological specimen for return international shipping.
- For any further questions or issues with ordering your test kit from our website, please call the clinic on 1300 692 260.
- For any specific questions on the testing methods, please call NutriPath on 1300 688 522.